Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Selection By Kiera Cass

Published April 24th, 2012
HarperTeen
327 pages

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
*Description from GoodReads

I must admit along with probably everyone else that has read this that it reminds me A LOT of the Bachelor.  Which I can say that I am not a fan of and I do not watch the show, so I was a little skeptical to read this book.  I was pleasantly surprised and it turned out that I rather did enjoy reading this book.

In the beginning you are introduced with the main character America Singer, who is having a hidden relationship with Aspen.  I loved reading about their relationship and Kiera made me want to continue on with reading because of  the sudden twist when Aspen suddenly doesn't want to be with America anymore because they "will never work"  (which lets face it I should have seen this one coming, but when it happened I was deep down a little sad by it).  He then in turn wants America to sign up to win the heart of Prince Maxon.  When America was chosen to be apart of the 35 competitors, is when I saw a side of America I wasn't sure I would like throughout the book.  She would make rash decisions and said/did things that I thought were a little childish.  Let's say she really does give Prince Maxon a run for his money.  

Besides America and her childish ways, I thought this book was greatly executed and amazingly writing.  Kiera keeps you on your toes, just when you think the story is not going any where, she surprises you with some dramatic and intense moments that makes you gripping for more.

"Suddenly those stares made sense.  My intentions didn't matter.  They didn't know I didn't want this.  In their eyes I was a threat.  And I could see they wanted me gone."

I really applaud Kiera for what she has written and I cannot wait to get my hands on her next installment, The Elite (which is out right now). 

 I gave this a 4/5 stars on GoodReads.

No comments:

Post a Comment